Bátovce - History of the village
Batovce were a Slavs mining settlement, where in 13th century settled Germany colonists. The village was official settled on 1320 and from 1388 was created as a mining town. Batovce was from the 16th to the 18th century a capital of county. In 1699 broke a revolt of liegeman in village. In the 17th century were Turks attacked Batovce.
Source: Vlastivedný slovník obcí na Slovensku, 1st part
Batovce were united together with village Jalaksova in 1943. Later was village Batovce up to Levice county and in the 19th century was owned by Esterhazy and Scholler.
In winter 1944 – 45, when Soviet’s army attacked German’s army, were in village three weeks strong fights. They were fighting for strategic place on Zaba hill, where was a German’s fort.
In the centre of village is a Gothic church from 14th century, with baroque repairs from 1730. Painted tables from the 14th and the 15th century are installed in Ostrihom museum. Since 1790 has been in the village evangelic church, with altar painting from P. M. Bohun from 1873. From the 19th century are a couple of folk house in the village.