Čirč - History
The village Čirč was first mentioned in 1330, when was mentioned the Cerkov Church and pastor Henrich (probably German origin). The village was founded on the territory of the Plaveč County. To this County belonged these villages: Andrejovka, Bajerovka, Čirč, Ďurková, Hajtovka, Hromoš, Obručné, Orlov, Plávnica, Ruská Voľa, Stariná and Údol.
The name of the village was Cžirož (1773) and Čirč (1920); Hungarian: Csircs, Csércs. Viliam Drugeth, the Naples nobleman, inherited from his father Filip the Plaveč Castle and the Ľubovňa Castle in 1329. Viliam Drugeth induct as castellan Peter Gall. He came from Siena. (In: I. Chalupecký, M. Smatana - Hrad Ľubovňa, Martin 1987, page 15). Filip Drugeth (he died in 1327) has got for faithful service the Plaveč Castle and Ľubovňa Castle in 1323 from king Karol Robert.
In 1427 the village Čirč was a small settlement, which was later settled by Ruthenian inhabitants.
In the 16 th century the village Čirč was a property a Kamenica County, the hunting district of the king. Starayovci owned the village. In 1557 the castle Kamenica was beaten up by czarist armies. This area was given to Detre, the son of the family in 127é from the king Stefan V. The last owner was the family of the nobleman Tárczay and Dessewffy from the 16 th century.
The first wooden church built the Rthenian residents about the year 1646, during the pastor Daniel Janovič. We know, that Janovič family „inherited“ sacerdotalism past generation, which mean, that sacerdotalism descend from father to son. His father – pastor, tutored son and when he was prepared equally after some years practice training, he was ordination by pastor and he taken parish after his father. When the family could afford, then they sent novice to the monastery or Latin seminar. (the bishop Michal Manuel from Olšava founded the first Greco-catholic seminar in Mukachevo in the 18 th century). In generally Tridentsky council (1543-1563) ordered by decree „Quum adolescentium aetas“, that every bishoprie has had founded their own seminar for tutored the novice for church. (In: J.Špirko, Snem v Tridente, 1947 Košice, pages 55-56). As in Janovič family was „inherited“ sacerdotalism past generation, Daniel and his father Jan was married pastors.
Source: Vlastivedný slovník obcí na Slovensku, 1 st part